Ready for download: MRE No. 9 "Louder Than They Allow".
A mid-Holiday session of killer pop tunes and strictly rockers.
Sending this one out to all of BK Radio's loyal college kid listeners who are finding winter break to be a drag with mom and dad. And this is for all of you facing that long drive or flight home and needing a way to tick off the hours. (This joint is 1:03:22 to be exact.)
Featuring two MRE faves (and slept-on bands) of 08 with Longwave and Helio Sequence, an electro mix of Vampire Weekend, Gnarls Barkley doing a Radiohead cover, our "artist of the year" - Santogold, the new-classic sounds of Last Shadow Puppets, a double shot from The Strokes, Raphael Saadiq bringing the cool back to soul music, Seun Kuti kicking ass and dubstep remixes of Damian Marley, Tanya Stephens and Kings Of Leon (!?) - plus a live Amy Winehouse who swings from flat to breathtakingly stunning all in one song. Is this the new golden age of pop music? It is when we're spinning. Enjoy.
MRE No.9 "Louder Than They Allow"
01. Longwave - "No Direction" - Original Signal
02. Helio Sequence - "The Captive Mind" - Sub Pop
03. Snowden - "Black Eyes" - Stickfigure Records
04. Gnarls Barkley - "Reckoner" - live
05. Vampire Weekend - "Cape Cod Kwasa Kwasa" (Teenagers Remix) - XL
06. Wire - "One Of Us" - Pink Flag
07. Santogold - "Say Aha" - Downtown
08. The Last Shadow Puppets - "Standing Next To Me" - Domino
09. The Strokes - "Heart In A Cage" - RCA
10. The Strokes - "You Only Live Once" - RCA
11. Amy Winehouse - "Valerie" - live
12. Raphael Saadiq - "Love That Girl" - Columbia
13. Johnson & Jonson - "The Only Way" - Tres Records
14. Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 - "Many Things" - Disorient
15. Damian Marley - "Road To Zion" (Dubstep Remix) - white label
16. Tanya Stephens - "Can't Breathe" (Matt Shadetek Remix) - Dutty Artz
17. Kings Of Leon - "Use Somebody" (Sekklow Remix) - RCA
18. Snow Patrol - "Open Your Eyes" (Marky + Bungle Remix) - Polydor
Recorded December 22, 2008. An US&THEM production.
Selected and sequenced by LEE SANFORD and TOMMY ROCKERS.
Produced by LEE SANFORD, TOM GEHRING and CARLOS RAMOS for the MRE.
Final mix engineered by C.RAMOS.
Santogold photographed by Chris La Putt at the Highline Ballroom in New York City on April 10, 2008.